COCONUT CRUMBED CHICKEN WITH SWEET POTATO, HALOUMI & ROCKET SALAD
SERVES: 2 as a main, or 4 as a side DIETARY: GF, DF, V
- 1/2 block haloumi cheese, sliced thinly
- 1 medium size sweet potato, skin on for extra fibre
- 2 big handfuls rocket
- 2 big handfuls of baby spinach
- 2 tbsp. pumpkin seeds
- 2 tbsp. hemp seeds (optional- great anti-inflammatory!)
- 6-8 cherry tomatoes, halved
- 2-3 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 avocado, sliced
- 1 tbsp. coconut oil
- Sea salt and pepper
- ½ tsp. turmeric
- ½ cup shredded or desiccated coconut
- 1 egg
- 250g chicken breast, cut into flat strips
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Wash sweet potato skin and then cut into small cubes, keeping the skin on for extra fibre. Add to a lined baking tray and drizzle with 1 tbsp. olive oil. Season with salt, pepper and add to oven. Roast for 30-35 minutes or until golden and soft.
- Meanwhile, heat coconut oil in a non-stick pan on a medium heat. Then in a bowl whisk egg and in another bowl combine shredded coconut, turmeric and salt and pepper. Dip chicken strips into egg mixture then into the coconut mixture until coated. Add chicken to the pan for 2-3 minutes then flip to other side, continue this until chicken is cooked through.
- Fry haloumi slices in batches, until golden on each side (about 2-3 minutes). Set aside.
- Halve the tomatoes, add rocket and spinach (I like to massage my leafy greens in a drizzle of olive oil first), cooked haloumi, sweet potato and sliced avocado to bowl and sprinkle with pumpkin and hemp seeds (if using).
TIP: Save yourself some time on the night/ for lunches by roasting up your sweet potato on the weekend or when you have something else cooking in the oven. Then on the night all you have to do is cook the chicken and haloumi + reheat the sweet potato.