Gelatin is the new kid on the block in terms of gut health, but how do you use it? and why is it so good for your gut?
What is Gelatin?
Gelatin is a powder, that when combined with hot water, creates a jelly-like consistency making it great for things like gummies, panna cotta and many more! Gelatin is an amazing source of protein as it is made up of both essential and non-essential amino acids including proline, glycine and glutamine. Whilst non-essential amino acids can be made by the body under normal circumstances, during times of stress, illness and inflammation the body’s ability to naturally produce these amino acids is reduced. Therefore, adding amino acids into the diet where we can through food is the best way to make sure our body is still getting an adequate amount to be able to function optimally!
Why is Gelatin good for your gut health?
As mentioned above, gelatin contains amino acids such as glutamine, which play a vital role in maintaining and repairing our gastrointestinal lining. Heard of leaky gut before? Well glutamine is one of the amazing nutrients that can help to restore the gap junctions and mucosal lining in your stomach, thereby making your gut less permeable (or ‘leaky’) meaning your able to digest, absorb and assimilate your nutrients better! Additionally, gelatin helps to enhance gastric acid secretion making it easier for your gut to digest proteins and fats. What’s not to love?
What other health benefits does Gelatin have?
- Glycine can assist liver detoxification in the body
- Support tissue repair and recovery especially after injury
- Can help to normalise hormone levels through balancing oestrogen levels
- Glycine and proline have been found to reduce inflammation in the body making it a great addition for those with auto-immune conditions
- Can reduce wrinkles and the presence of cellulite through improving skin elasticity
- Can increase satiety (feeling of fullness) due to the protein in gelatin
Plus many more!
How do I use it?
- Gelatin gummies (sooo yummy pretty much like lollies) – check out my recipe for my strawberry & cream ones
- Panna Cotta
Where can I buy Gelatin?
As with a lot of health food products, not all Gelatin is created equal therefore opting for a good quality, natural Gelatin is the best way to maximise the health benefits you will gain from consuming it. I personally love Nutra Organics Natural Gelatin which you can purchase at health food stores or via their website! (250g- $11.90 or 500g- $22.95). Changing Habits Organic Gelatin is also a great product! (500g- $39.97)
Got anymore questions? Leave a comment below!