Having Coeliac's disease doesn't mean missing out the classic winter warming porridge... or not in my books anyways! Swap your oats for rice flakes and buckwheat and bump up the protein content by stirring in an egg to the mix! Egg in your porridge you ask... In addition to making this porridge protein rich, adding an egg also makes the mixture nice and creamy (win win!). Starting your day with a source of protein and fibre helps maintain stable blood glucose levels throughout the morning meaning you'll have more energy to power through your day and less sugar cravings.
GLUTEN FREE PORRIDGE
SERVES: 1 TIME: 5 MINUTES DIETARY: GF, DF
- 1 cup of milk of choice (I use coconut or almond milk)
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup brown rice flakes
- 1/4 cup activated buckwheat
- 1 organic egg
- 1 tsp. cinnamon (optional)
- Toppings- seasonal fruit, honey, peanut butter, flaked almonds, seeds etc... get creative!
- Add milk, brown rice flakes, buckwheat and cinnamon to a saucepan and bring to the boil
- Reduce heat to a simmer and stir egg into mixture
- Keep stirring on a low heat until porridge becomes nice and creamy
- Then top with your favourites!
MY FAV COMBO'S
- Apple and cinnamon: grate apple into your porridge whilst it's on the stove or simply top with apple and cinnamon when it's cooked
- Banana and honey: top with banana, honey, flaked almonds and cinnamon
- Berry-licious: stir 1/4 cup of berries + 1 tsp. vanilla bean essence into your porridge whilst on the stove or leave the berries separate and keep them fresh for your topping
Get creative... this is a simple base and you can use it make whatever flavour porridge your craving!