Kale is a cruciferous vegetable that packs a punch when it comes to nutrition with its high levels of vitamin A, C, K, iron, calcium and fibre. It provides a rich source of antioxidants and supports liver detoxification, hormonal balance and cardiovascular health (for more of Kale’s benefits check out it here).
Kale chips are a fun and delicious way to get in your daily dose of greens and best of all they are super easy! I love to flavour mine with paprika and Himalayan rock salt but you can jazz yours up with whatever you like… cumin, chilli flakes or nutritional yeast, whatever takes your fancy! Add them to your nourish bowl for a bit of extra crunch, eat them on their own as a snack or use as a salad base.
For my kale chips I recommend you give them a little bit of loving and massage them before you pop them in the oven. MASSAGE IT!? I hear you say… massaging your kale helps to break down the cellulose (fibrous structure of kale) making it easier for your stomach to digest. As you begin to massage your kale you will notice the colour becoming more vibrant and the texture will soften. So try it… give your kale some loving because your gut will love you back ; )
CRUNCHY KALE CHIPS
SERVES: 3 TIME: 5 MINUTES PREP + 10-15 MINUTES COOKING DIETARY: GF, DF, V
- 1 bunch of organic Kale (stalks removed)
- 2 tbsp. coconut oil (melted) or olive oil
- 1 tsp. Himalayan rock salt
- A flavouring of your choice- Eg. 1 tsp. paprika, 1 tsp. chilli flakes, 1 tsp. nutritional yeast, 1 tsp. cumin powder
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees and prepare a baking tray with baking paper
- Remove kale leaves from the stalk by using a knife on either side of the stalk (see picture) or pulling the leaves off in a downwards motion
- In a bowl, drizzle your oil of choice over the leaves and massage the leaves with your hands whilst tearing the leaves into bite size pieces
- Spread them over your baking tray and sprinkle your desired flavouring over the top
- Place in the oven for 10-15 minutes until crunchy
Storage- keep in an air tight container for 3-4 days (if you don’t devour them all in one go) so you can keep snacking on them or adding them to your favourite meals!