Tropical holidays are for fun, sun and sometimes a cheeky cocktail or two but who is to say you can’t keep the holiday vibes rolling back into your everyday life? This Pina Colada smoothie is a green and healthy take on the cocktail version but it is just as fruity and refreshing! It can be hard to get the required 5 cups of vegetables into you diet each day so including vegetables into your breakfast is a sure fire way to get the ball rolling. Frozen zucchini is a great addition to any smoothie as it makes them thick and creamy and honestly doesn’t alter the taste of it… and best of all it adds a serve of vegetables to your day (woooo for hidden veggies)!
PINA COLADA SMOOTHIE
SERVES: 1 TIME: 5 MINUTES DIETARY: GF, DF, V
- ½ Frozen banana
- ½ Frozen zucchini
- 5 pieces of pineapple
- 1 handful of baby spinach leaves
- 1 tbsp. chia seeds
- ½ cup coconut water
- ½ cup coconut milk (or milk of your choice)
- 1 scoop (30g) of protein powder (optional)
- Soak chia seeds in food processor/ blender with coconut water and milk and let the chia seeds absorb and expand for a couple of minutes to make them easier to digest
- Add the rest of the ingredients in and blend until smooth and creamy!
Time saver- Simply chop up your zucchini and pineapple and place it in a snap lock bag with your banana and handful of spinach, and repeat for however many smoothies you want to prep at a time and keep them in the freezer. Then in the morning all you have to do it add the liquid (plus protein powder if using) and your smoothie bag ingredients to the blender and you have a breakfast with 2 serves of veggies that will keep you full for the morning!